Romney Sides With Democrats: ‘Very Likely I’ll Be In Favor Of Witnesses’

January 27, 2020   |   by James G. Dalton

Utah Sen. Mitt Romney (R) says it’s “very likely” that he will side with Congressional Democrats over calling witnesses in the Senate impeachment trial against President Trump – however he says he will table the decision until Trump’s defense team has concluded their opening arguments.

I think it’s very likely I’ll be in favor of witnesses, but I haven’t made a decision finally yet and I won’t until the testimony is completed,” Romney said Saturday following the first full day of Trump’s team’s arguments, according to CNN.

The Utah Senator was mum on whether he thought Trump’s team was effective, saying “I just don’t have any comments on the process or the evidence until the trial is over.”

Three weeks ago Romney expressed interest in hearing testimony from former National Security Adviser John Bolton, saying earlier this month “I would like to hear from John Bolton and other witnesses, but at the same time I’m comfortable with the Clinton impeachment model when we have opening arguments first and then we have a vote on whether to have witnesses.”

Democrats need four Republicans to vote with them in favor of subpoenas for witnesses or new evidence in order to extend the trial and gather new information.

There are only maybe four, realistically, who would vote in favor of calling witnesses who could testify against the President. That short list includes Romney, relative moderates Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and endangered senators up for reelection like Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado.

Collins and Murkowski have also signaled that they’re open to hearing from witnesses, should they feel it’s needed after opening arguments. –CNN

According to the report, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has blocked efforts by Democrats to push for an initial deal on witnesses and documents until after opening statements and questioning.

McConnell now says that calling witnesses would raise constitutional concerns – suggesting that he’s in lockstep with Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who says “this needs to end.”

via zerohedge

1. Doris

January 27, 2020 @ 3:13 pm

I’m so sick of Romney. Why don’t you join the Dems. We Republicans don”t need you. I wish all the people in your state would drop you.
    I understand alit of the people have dropped you.

• DAVID Handley

January 27, 2020 @ 3:42 pm

I’m one voter from Utah that is through with Mitt Romney!

• Lonnie Leverich

January 28, 2020 @ 10:38 pm

At ONE time, I liked Romney, but that “like” is LONG GONE. I guess he wants to be another turd brained, jackass dumbocrap.

• MICHAEL ROSE

January 27, 2020 @ 5:13 pm

Mitt Romney has an axe to grind and he has no honor. He is why I will not send any more donations to the Republican party. Hopefully the citizens of Utah will vote him out of office.

• Vanderbilt Evans Sr

January 28, 2020 @ 10:33 am

IT IS SAD TO THIS HYPERSENSITIVE PERSON HOLD “HATE” IN HIS HEART; BECAUSE OF JEALOUSY, AMEN!!!
        GROW UP AND STOP THE HOSTILITY AND ANIMOSITY; BECAUSE IT IS HEAVY UPON YOU AND IT’S WEARING YOU DOWN, AMEN!!!
        WHERE IS THE LOVE OF JESUS CHRIST; THAT YOU SAY THAT YOU REPRESENT, WHAT A HYPOCRITE YOU HAVE BECOME; THAT YOU WILL “NOT FORGIVE”, AMEN!!!
        YOU MY FRIEND ARE TO SOFT TO BE IN POLITICAL SOCIETY; BECAUSE YOU “ARE NOT A GLADIATOR”, AMEN!!!
        YOU SIR MUST BE “A WARRIOR”; AND THAT IS NOT WHO YOU ARE, AMEN!!!

• William

January 27, 2020 @ 8:43 pm

He is making a decision before he hears the facts . Romney is just as bad as the Democratic not letting witness appear in their session.

• Pat

January 27, 2020 @ 8:47 pm

Get the heck out of the senate you Sorry piece of crap. You’re nothing more than a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Jealousy of President Donald Trump just eats you up don’t it??

• Phil

January 27, 2020 @ 9:53 pm

Mitt Romney is just one of the best reasons for a Mormon to leave the church of LDS in a mass exodus he has to be a part of Satans plan just check out his past I was a Mormon at one time but no more because of his policies. I considered myself a good Mormon but because of where Romney stands I’m done. Period
      Phil

• Robert Goodman

January 28, 2020 @ 12:44 pm

Your Comment*Imagine that, he has family tied up in Ukraine too!

• Jim Watson

January 28, 2020 @ 3:02 pm

Mr.Romney needs to look at the evidence and get the shamen peachment over with

2. priscilla

January 27, 2020 @ 3:18 pm

mr romney you shpuld remember who put you in office and believe what has beenproven to be false .

• Gary Bernhardt

January 27, 2020 @ 3:42 pm

Romney ( alias ) Benedict Arnold
      Just ended his political career in disgrace
      After the kangaroo court in the house.
      I did not hear a word from him .
      Smells like George the nazi soros got to him with a stack of cash. Romney is a traitor not only to the republicans but to the United States of America’s and everyone who voted for that snake

• leonard r.lepicier

January 27, 2020 @ 5:09 pm

Romney is a disgrace to America. A nit is a juvenile louse,I guess a Mitt is a Crotch Cricket

• Chuck

January 27, 2020 @ 9:34 pm

Mitt is JUST A WASHED UP JACK MORMON , HE WOULD NT SEE THE TRUTH IF IT KNOCKED HIM OUT, TRAITOR OF THE STATES, SEIZE ASSETS, SWING HHIM AS A TRAITOR , CREDIT SOCIAL SECURITY!

• Patty

January 28, 2020 @ 2:51 am

I live in Southern Utah and I would say the majority of Republicans here did not vote for him for Senator. What a two faced liar he has been and has hurt the GOP over and over again. I was hoping he would come to his senses and become a good Republican again and fight for us the people that voted President Trump into office but obviously he has lost his mind! Please resign now as Senator as you are not worthy of this position! President Trump 2020, still making America Great!!

3. James

January 27, 2020 @ 3:19 pm

Romney swings back and forth like a pendulum. He is like most politicians except he is smooth and slippery like a snake.

4. Nick Kraft

January 27, 2020 @ 3:23 pm

Romney is worse than a snake in the grass. I deeply regret having supported this traitor in his two failed Presidential bids. I wish I could find a way to recover my donations to this RINO, which he made under totally false pretenses by posing as a Republican. He made me believe that he was a strong Republican but has turned out, I believe out of spite because the President would not make him Secretary of State, he became a turn coat, aiding and abetting the swamp creatures on the left. He should be removed from the Senate by any legal means available and be certain that may never be able to run for any public office again.

5. Judy maxwell

January 27, 2020 @ 3:24 pm

That’s because he has business with Ukraine also , he’s as crooked as the democrats!

6. Nani

January 27, 2020 @ 3:30 pm

Romney is so stupid, so evil, so vindictive, how can he even look at himself in the mirror? Romney is a TRAITOR- BIG TRAITOR! Romney only is about himself and no other no one else.

7. Robert

January 27, 2020 @ 3:33 pm

What an asshole Romney is. Need to vote his ass out.

• Jeff

January 27, 2020 @ 8:34 pm

Because Romney was on the take from Ukraine just like Schiff, Pelosi’s son, Bidens, lots of people. Money laundered back to many gov’t. officials. Barr/Durham will expose them soon.

8. Kenneth Stroud

January 27, 2020 @ 3:36 pm

I Have never liked, Romney, he is a snake in the grass for sure, nobody cares what he thinks, except the liberals, just switch parties, Just another sick person.

9. PlumHunter

January 27, 2020 @ 3:41 pm

Why is this phrased as siding with the Dumb Dems? How about we just get the entire story out – witnesses and documents will show that our fearless leader made a perfect call in all aspects of this UkraineGate fiasco. That would shut up the wacko snowflake lefties once and for all. And if that does not satisfy the Dumb Dems, then Pompeo and Mulvaney and Pense can all sing in unison, “F**K ’em”! And our furious leader can end it with a super “F**K all you Dumb Dems and the Trojan horse you rode in on.” Seig Heil!!! MAGA mannnnnnnnnn!!!!!

• willi

January 27, 2020 @ 8:29 pm

Just like his Dad when he was the Governor of Michigan

10. JOSE LOZANO

January 27, 2020 @ 3:59 pm

Mitt Romney is a traitor!!

11. Joe Johnston

January 27, 2020 @ 3:59 pm

This is why he left Michigan, the people of Michigan had enough of him and not vote for him to represent Michigan. He’s just a underhanded Democrat in liers clothes.

12. John Watkins

January 27, 2020 @ 4:04 pm

So thankful he lost to Obama or maybe it wouldn’t have made a difference–they are both Democrats. And now we find out that Clintons’ daughters’ husband is on the BOD of Romney’s wife/ HUMMM!

• Rhonda

January 27, 2020 @ 4:21 pm

Romney is just as guilty as Biden is by having his child work for the Ukrainian Energy company. These Demonrats (Biden, Romney, Pelosi) had their children and themselves profiting from their money laundering scheme. They are scared to death of Trump getting a 2nd Term because they believe that the Trump Administration and DOJ will EXPOSE all of their corruption.
      #TRUMP2020 #2ndTerm #ImpeachCongress #ImpeachNancyPelosi #ImpeachLyingAdamSHIT #ImpeachNadler #ImpeachSchumer #ImpeachWaters

13. Ruth Talbot

January 27, 2020 @ 4:25 pm

You have your own personal agenda:
    an enemy of our admired and valued
    President Trump!
    Utahns I know, would like you removed from office!
    You do not represent Utah voters!

14. Molly McKinney

January 27, 2020 @ 4:58 pm

Romney the Rat is as low as they go, a career bottom feeder in the deepest muck of the The Swamp. In return for Donald’s gracious forgiveness of his betrayal, The Rat has produced nothing but more treachery, and definitely belongs with the House lynch mob, for he is useless to Republicans. However, I find it helpful to remember that these swamp creatures are merely an evil strain of sub-humans desperate to prove that lies beat truth, while Donald Trump miraculously became America’s president to prove the opposite, and as usual is doing a splendid job.

15. Frank

January 27, 2020 @ 5:34 pm

In case you didn’t know, Romney is a mormon out of Utah that wants to be president, he thinks he is the chosen one to become the first mormon president and fulfill mormon proficy to save the constitution. When he became senator I quit sending money to the Republican Party. I won’t support a party that supports mit Romney. That’s his problem, he doesn’t think his s–t stinks. He knows he has to get our president out of the way so he can run. Won’t work jackass nobody likes you or can stand your righteous ass. ROFLMFAO

16. Martha

January 27, 2020 @ 6:11 pm

I hope the people of Utah do not re-elect him to the Senate or any other Government
    position.
    He is a traitor. President Trump helped him to be elected to the S
    enate.

• Tony

January 27, 2020 @ 9:05 pm

I agree, he also said he would support President Trump, if he was voted in. Looks as though, his word is the same as “pencil neck” & the Demon/rats

17. Scott M.

January 27, 2020 @ 7:00 pm

From MA, how do you go about getting your donation monies back. Thought of him highly at one point – long ago…..

18. Joyce Y.

January 27, 2020 @ 7:08 pm

Sorry I thought him to be a Good man. He double crosses those who believe in him.

19. RUSSELL GANN

January 27, 2020 @ 7:26 pm

It’s obvious to me why the Democrats are doing what they are doing. Their hatred of President Trump is obvious, and they are using politics to fight against him on everything that he is doing to make our country better. These are revenge tactics, because he won 2016, and most likely will win in 2020. But, what I don’t understand are a few Republicans who say they would like to see more witnesses. The Democrats had their chance to do just that in the House inquiry. These Republicans are like the enablers of the opposition, which has shown absolutely no fairness and no due process. And by doing so, these Republicans are allowing themselves to be manipulated. I say…”End this, and end it now.”

20. Jimmy Daugherty

January 27, 2020 @ 8:40 pm

Romney would Pimp his wife off!!!!!!!!!!

21. MMcLaugh

January 27, 2020 @ 8:52 pm

Well who didn’t know Romney was a traitor? I not only voted for this clown in 2012, but volunteered for his campaign and observed polling during the election. I reported KNOWN potential fraud to his campaign and spoke directly to his legal team to inform them of a 10% increase in voters of my small town in NH (ONLY 1 small town…do the math yourself to figure out the increase in voters, who potentially voted in more than one state, to figure the increase throughout the entire state). My report was legitimate enough to be put through to their legal team and the response I got was, “We didn’t expect to win NH anyway.”
    Romney did not oppose 0bama, he willingly conceded the election to him. I never did like the guy always thinking how weak of a candidate he was. Sad truth is he probably DID win NH in legal votes. Nothing was ever verified here. Think what that would mean throughout the other 49 states. Or did 0bama get elected by all 57, and how many ILLEGAL votes?
    The Deep State is deeper than you think! Where’s Hunter? Where are the sons of Romney, Pelosi, Kerry? How many others are their? What about OUR sons and daughters?!? What opportunities do they have while these crooks and traitors form their family oligarchies and put themselves above YOU and YOURS?!
    The REAL question is what will YOU so about it? Is it going to take a war to take OUR Republic back?

22. john hargus jr

January 27, 2020 @ 8:52 pm

he has to go I don’t trust him at all

23. Wilbert C. Jennings Jr

January 27, 2020 @ 11:35 pm

He is a loser that didn’t have the talls to address the over 40% on government assistance that vote democrat. He is a Democrat in Republican clothing.

24. Kerry Hansen

January 28, 2020 @ 8:24 am

To think this ass hole would side with the party of the person (HARRY REED another piece of crap) who said on the Senate floor that Romney didn’t pay his taxes!

25. Frank

January 28, 2020 @ 1:15 pm

This guy has to go. He’s a turn coat, and that makes him the lowest of the low

26. JOSE LOZANO

January 29, 2020 @ 10:39 am

Mitt Romney is a Traitor…He has no convictions. Obviously his goal is to do everything in his power to destroy the President. … The best for him is not the good of a country